Sunday, April 15, 2007

A Short Story

Here is a very short story that I wrote for a contest but unfortunately, I didn't win. It had to be 250 words or less. Let me know what you think:

You see, they wouldn't listen. And now we're stranded...in the middle of nowhere, with a dead vehicle and no cell phone.

I sat in the back beside my boyfriend, Ethan. "We should have stayed on the highway." I said, loud enough for everyone to hear. Ethan's glare warned me to shut up.

"Jack, what are we going to do?" Millie asked.

"Walk down this road until we find a house. We'll use their phone to call for help." Jack replied.

"What if there is something out there?" Millie's voice shook with fear as she looked at the woods. The tall trees blocked the sunlight, creating deep, sinister shadows.

The woods are the least of your worries, I thought, but left the words unspoken.

"Come on," said Jack,"we need to find a house before dark."

We walked two miles before we found a house. It sat several hundred feet off the road. It stood one story and was painted blue with red trim. It resembled a fairytle cottage.

Jack knocked on the door then tried the knob: it was unlocked. He opened the door and stepped in. "Hello, anybody home?"

We followed him inside and I shut and locked the door. "Sarah, why did you do that?" Ethan asked.

"I don't want you to leave,"I said. They stared in shock as I pulled the skin off my face, revealing the hideous beast I was underneath.

"I tried to warn you," I said, flashing razor sharp teeth,"now you're going to die."


I am hoping to eventually make this into a longer short story and enter it into another contest.

When I find my frog poem I wrote I will post it on here, too.

I need to quit being so lazy and get back into writing more.

I hope you are having a great day. I better go for now.
Later,
Katydae

No comments: